Overview of Treatment Options for Pyrosis
Pyrosis or heartburn is a condition that causes burning sensations at the lower chest area and normally occurs when the acid from the stomach regurgitates, thus irritating the esophagus.
The condition can be very uncomfortable and a quick remedy for it is the consumption of yogurt or the intake of antacids. In case you are suffering from this condition, here is an overview of treatment options for pyrosis - natural and medical, as well as some precautionary tips that can help you prevent the condition from recurring:
Natural Treatments for Pyrosis
Yogurt: one effective cure against pyrosis is a small bowl of yogurt. When experiencing acidity or pyrosis attack, you can eat a bowl of yogurt for quick relief against the condition. Regular consumption of yogurt can also help prevent the condition from recurring in the future.
Chamomile Tea: drinking chamomile tea during a pyrosis attack can quickly relieve the condition. You can also consume this after every meal to prevent pyrosis attack from occurring. In case chamomile tea is not available, you can opt for peppermint tea instead to relieve pyrosis.
Apple Cider Vinegar: this is another beneficial relief against the condition. Simply mix a teaspoon of honey with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to relieve the condition.
Medications for Pyrosis
There are various medications that can be consumed to relieve the condition. For one, antacids are helpful in neutralizing stomach acids, thus relieving the condition quickly. However, when opting for antacids, make sure that you go for the one that contains aluminum hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide. There are H2 blockers that can be used against the condition as well, and some of it can be purchased even without prescriptions. Some of the most recommended H2 blockers for pyrosis are Tagamet, Pepcid and Zantac.
Tips for Preventing Pyrosis
After an overview of treatment options for pyrosis, here are some tips that can help you prevent the condition from recurring:
- As much as possible, avoid the consumption or excessive intake of foods that can trigger pyrosis, such as fatty and fried foodstuffs.
- Avoid excessive eating of ketchup, mustard and chocolate, as these can aggravate the condition.
- Beverages like normal or decaf coffee, sodas and alcoholic drinks should also be avoided when suffering from pyrosis.
- Avoid the consumption of foodstuffs containing tomato sauce, as these can increase the amount of acid in the stomach and can trigger pyrosis attacks.
- The intake of certain medications likeanti-inflammatory, painkillers and aspirin should also be avoided. Before skipping any medication you are using, always consult your physician.
- Divide your meals into smaller proportions to avoid overeating. It would also help if you consume your dinner at least 2 or 3 hours before going to sleep.
- In case you are overweight, following a weight loss program can help you prevent pyrosis.
- Another factor that can trigger the condition is stress. In case you are often subjected to it, you should do some meditation or relaxation techniques to manage it, such as aromatherapy or yoga. Doing these can help you reduce the levels of stress, thus preventing and alleviating pyrosis and its symptoms.
Apart from the remedies and treatment options mentioned above, there are lots of other treatment options available for the condition. However, before using any of these, it would be best to consult your physician first in order to determine the major cause of the problem. In case pyrosis is due to structural abnormalities within the digestive system, surgery might be suggested. However, for minor cases of pyrosis, these remedies can already provide relief against the problem.
|Written by:||Michal Vilímovský (EN)|
|Published:||June 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM|
|Next scheduled update:||June 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM|