Motion Sickness Treatment Options
Motion sickness or kinetosis can be described as a condition that causes a feeling of queasiness which occurs as a result of movement. Typically, people will experience this condition when they are carried on a train, car, plane or even a ship. Every time we move, the motion is usually detected by the brains and it will go through 3 different pathways i.e. the ear, eyes and other dipper tissue in the body.
The body must be able to coordinate these pathways. When unusual movements take place for example when you are in a car, your body may find it difficult to balance these pathways and this results in motion sickness. The best way to prevent this condition is to stay away from the unusual conditions but unfortunately traveling is inevitable most of the times. However, it is important to note that there are different motion sickness treatment options.
Natural treatment options for kinetosis
If the condition hits you when you are on a ship, try to move to areas with limited motion for example on the deck. While on the deck, try to focus on the horizon. You can also choose to go and rest at the center of the ship. If you are on a train or a car, try to move on the front seat. While seated, try to hold your head as still as possible.
- Moving to an area with little movements could help to alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness.
- If you have a carbonated drink or soda crackers, you can take them and they could also help to alleviate the symptoms.
- Take a sip of peppermint tea. Although all mints could be used, peppermint has been proven to be very effective in treating nausea. It would be important if you do not take a gulp rather than a sip of the same. Taking too much of it could aggravate your stomach condition.
- Chew a small piece of candied or fresh ginger. Ginger has been found to be effective in relieving nausea as well as motion sickness symptoms. Ginger can also be found in liquid extracts, tablets, teas and capsules. Although not much has been documented about the effectiveness of ginger in treating motion sickness, the good news is that it comes with minimal side effects and therefore there would be no harm in trying it out. It is important that you don't smoke or sit near smokers when you have this condition.
- Sometimes however, just vomiting could be all that you need in order to feel well.
Other treatment options for kinetosis
There are many other treatment options available to you if you suffer from this condition, such patches, accupuncutre, medications or physiotherapy.
- Use a motion sickness patch before you get sick or immediately after you begin to experience the symptoms. These patches are applied behind the ear and they contain Scopolamine as the active ingredient. Scopolamine has the capacity to be absorbed into the body after about 4 hours. You can apply the patch just before the movements begin.
- If you usually suffer from this condition, it would be advisable to visit a doctor. The doctor will prescribe to you some prescription medications. You should take the medication as per the doctor instructions. These drugs should be taken in about 2 to 3 hours before you begin travelling and again after 4 to 6 hours as may be required. An example of a strong prescription drug is scopolamine. There are also over the counter medications that you can buy for example Dramamine.
- Acupuncture or acupressure are another effective treatment options for motion sickness. Try to do acupuncture sometimes before you begin traveling. Special motion bracelets can also be used to treat this condition. These bracelets have special pressure points around the wrist area. Every time you feel the symptoms of motion sickness or nausea, you should press these pressure points to get relief.
- Physical therapy is also a viable treatmentoption for motion sickness. An experienced physical therapist will prove useful in helping you make repeated motions which will help your mind to adapt to different motions. The more you exercise, the more your brain will become adapted to the specific motion.
If you have an experience with motion sickness, it would be wise for you to have a remedy plan before you embark on any traveling. This protects you from a situation where the condition hits you while you don't have a treatment option at your disposal. Motion sickness is a serious condition that can make one tremble whenever he thinks about traveling. You don't have to tremble anymore because there are treatment options that are not only cheap but also readily available.
|Written by:||Michal Vilímovský (EN)|
|Education:||Medical student, 3rd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic|
|Published:||June 3, 2013 2:57 PM|
|Next scheduled update:||June 3, 2015 2:57 PM|